As a fully-integrated palm oil producer, our R&D capabilities encompass all research area requirements across the value chain. Through our strategic and operational R&D, we are committed towards developing, applying and transferring relevant knowledge, research findings and technologies to improve our plantation yields, milling processes and customise our downstream products.
Research & Development Capacity:
- 5 Research & Development Centres in Malaysia, Indonesia and Papua New Guinea.
- 3 Innovation Centres in Malaysia, the Netherlands and South Africa.
- 1 fully operational genetic testing facility in Malaysia to commercialise high yielding oil palm with secondary traits for harvesting efficiency and climate resilience.
- Over 200 scientists and researches worldwide.
- Plantation Research
- Ensuring the well-being of our estates, usage of best planting materials and good agricultural practices.
- Also focuses on fertiliser application, coordinates R&D trainings for our estates and mills, and develops mechanisation solutions.
- Research and services in the area of sustainability .
- Biotechnology and Breeding
- Leads continuous improvement in yield and other desirable economic traits in oil palm and rubber planting materials using ultra advanced genomics and tissue culture technologies.
- Also conducts strategic research in applied chemistry and biotechnology to support the value chain and ensures sustainable planting of high yielding palms.
- Processing Technology
- Recommends improvements to mill and refinery processes and provides laboratory analysis, and product development.
- Oils & Fats
- Conducts fundamental research on downstream palm products and transfers technology to our innovation centres and subsidiaries for customised product development.
- Innovation Centres
- Provide technical services to our global customers, develop new products and provide technical support to our refineries.
- Seeds and Agricultural Services
- Through SD Seeds & Agricultural, Dami Oil Palm Research Station (“Dami OPRS”) which is owned by NBPOL, and PT ASL, we mass produce elite oil palm planting materials for internal and external customers and provide estate consultancy services.
- Environmental, Safety and Health
- Facilitates and undertakes initiatives relating to quality, environmental issues, occupational, safety and health issues and sustainability within our operations.